Whether helping others cope with crisis, put challenges into perspective or find a life worth living, guide the way and practise respectful and inclusive counselling. The Master of Counselling consists of research-led content that is delivered via supported and interactive teaching, while allowing students to undertake experiential learning. Students will work closely with clinical supervisors while undertaking placement units.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Private practice counsellor
- Therapeutic case worker
- Financial counsellor
- Youth work
- Community worker
- Family counsellor
- Child and adolescent counsellor
- Rehab counsellor
- Couples and relationship counsellor
What You'll Learn
- Human diversity, inclusion and respect – Learn the factors that influence cultural diversity to be able to provide respectful counselling support to individuals across Australia
- ACA accredited – The course is recognised as a professional qualification in counselling and accredited by the Australian Counselling Association (ACA), in line with their Professional Training Standards
- Supported experiential practice – Students will have opportunities to use the skills acquired in the course in practical settings, with supervision from clinical experts and support from peers
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration and Study Load
- 2 years part-time
To be eligible for the Master of Counselling applicants must:
- Have an undergraduate degree or postgraduate degree in any discipline;
- Provide a CV that demonstrates helping experience (paid/voluntary);
- There are non-standard English language requirements for this course. To be eligible you must have an overall IELTS Academic score (or equivalent) of 7.0, with no band score below 7.0
- Be supported by a dedicated Student Success Adviser
- Online and accelerated
- Apply knowledge and skills immediately
- Develop industry-relevant skills
- Start anytime – intakes are open every 2 months
About University of Canberra
The University of Canberra (UC) is a hub of learning, practical courses and innovative research. It is a place where ideas are born, creativity is explored and opportunity is created.
UC is a university for the professions, dedicated to providing immersive student experiences focused on employability outcomes.
We have been recognised as the fastest rising university in Australia (QS, 2022) and have been ranked number one in Canberra for full-time employment for four years in a row (Good Universities Guide 2022).
This success is in part due to our two-pronged focus, encompassing progressive, expert teaching alongside strong ties to industry. This means that students enjoy real-world work experience and get a taste of their future careers, even before graduation.