This hands-on course covers all you need to know to start a career in a graphic design career, starting with the fundamentals of graphic design, and moving to the more advanced practices of digital design, as well as UX, branding and freelancing.
Who's It For?
If you love design and technology and have a bit of experience with graphic design (self- taught or through work experience), then the Diploma of Graphic Design may be the course for you.
The Diploma is a great way to get the skills you need to launch a brand new career, or if you have been working in the industry, it is the perfect way to formalise your skills and get the qualification you need to take the next step in your career.
If you are an existing worker or have experience in the related industry, please inform our enrolment consultants during your enrolment conversation as you may be eligible to enrol as an existing worker and may be able to complete your studies faster.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Assistant web/digital designer
- Graphic operator
- Junior graphic designer
- Junior mac operator
- Package designer
What You'll Learn
- Responding to the demands of the industry, the Diploma has modules dedicated to helping you master the highly prized skills of user experience, digital design, and company branding and identity
- Designed to get you ready to launch into the industry, this online graphic design Diploma includes the module ‘Your own practice’. During this module, you will learn to master your own work, compete in a digital world and effectively market yourself and your work
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration and Study Load
The duration for the course is maximum 24 months. As a self-paced online course, the time it will take you to complete is flexible and dependent on ability and time available.
To enter this qualification, you need to be able to demonstrate graphic design skills to support learning at the Diploma level. In particular, you need to be able to:
- Produce multiple examples of graphic design work that respond effectively to different design challenges
- Produce typography that supports the overall design solution
- Use graphic design software
- During this graphic design course, you will develop a portfolio of work which showcases your skills, ideas and creativity, as well as your ability to meet client briefs. You can use this portfolio to showcase your skills to potential employers and clients
- Your Trainers are industry experts who have decades of experience working in graphic design. They are on hand to help guide you through your studies and answer any questions that you may have
- The Diploma is designed to get you job-ready, so all assessments are created with a real-world focus to get you used to dealing with the type of design briefs and graphic design roles that you will encounter when you graduate
Recognition of Prior Learning
We understand that you may already have many skills and areas of expertise that you have obtained in different ways and these are recognised through our Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) process.
Open Colleges has developed an RPL application kit for this course.
The Student Handbook, available in the Key Student Information section of our website, provides more information about our RPL process. Alternatively, you can contact an Enrolment Consultant to discuss your RPL options.
- Multiple-choice questions
- Scenario-based questions
- Short-answer questions
- Visual diaries
- Written reports
This course requires the use of design industry software. You will need access to the Adobe Creative Suite, which can be purchased on subscription through the Adobe Creative Cloud (ACC). The ACC subscription is not included in the course fee. Student subscriptions are available at a reduced price.
- Research type as visual communication
- Analyse design needs
- Develop ideas for typographic solutions
- Manipulate and integrate type
- Integrate type within the overall design
- Evaluate typographic design solutions
- Analyse design needs
- Develop and refine ideas for graphics
- Manipulate graphic objects
- Finalise technical aspects of graphics work
- Evaluate graphics work
- Research information on colour theory and design processes
- Communicate ideas through the application of colour and design theory
- Evaluate design work
- Select focus for research
- Conduct critical analysis
- Present ideas about visual communication history and theory
- Develop own practice from research
- Evaluate the role of drawing in professional practice
- Support practice through experimentation with drawing and visual representation
- Develop individual approach to use of drawing
About Open Colleges
Open Colleges puts you at the centre of everything we do. As an institution, we measure our success in the success of our students.
We have more than 125 years of experience in distance education, and this has given us the time to perfect the ways we deliver education and training to people across Australia. In the last decade alone, we’ve helped more than 450,000 students reach their potential.
We understand the needs of adult learners. That’s why we created OpenSpace, our world-class online learning platform that gives you complete flexibility and control to study whenever and wherever you are. OpenSpace provides you with access to learning resources, expert trainers and assessors, a superior support network and the opportunity to connect with other learners just like you.
Our nationally recognised courses could help you launch, change or accelerate your career. Now is the time to make your next move. With Open Colleges, everything could happen.
Open Colleges Pty Ltd is a Registered Training Organization (RTO 90796)