- We are a private RTO and therefore government funding is not available. Please check eligibility requirements before enquiring
Become a confident communicator by learning how to apply solutions for marketing and communications situations in a variety of business contexts. You will develop a range of specialist marketing skills as well as other broad business skills that will allow you to function effectively in a marketing industry setting.
If you want to take that step up from an entry level marketing or business role, or start working in the industry, this is a great course to give you the broad knowledge and skills you need.
This course will introduce you to basic marketing concepts and help you develop a detailed understanding of consumer behaviour, leadership skills and managing business relationships.
When you complete your first module, you can make application for a free 12-month affiliate membership with the Australian Marketing Institute, which will give you access to a range of benefits. The AMI’s core purpose is to support the professional progress of members and lead the marketing profession forward in Australia.
This course may also serve as a path into further study, including the BSB50120 Diploma of Business or 10904NAT Diploma of Social Media Marketing
Who's It For?
This course is perfect for you if you are creative, technologically savvy, and want to start a career in marketing and communication. Designed for beginners, this course will take you through the basics, before helping you master the more advanced practices of both traditional and digital marketing and communications.
If you are an existing worker or have experience in the related industry, please inform our enrolment consultants during your enrolment conversation. You may be eligible to enrol as an existing worker and complete your studies faster. Please note – limitations do apply.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Advertising account coordinator
- Assistant account manager (advertising)
- Assistant advertising account planner
- Community relations team leader (local government)
- Direct marketing officer
- Market research assistant
- Marketing coordinator
- Marketing officer
- Media assistant
- Media planner
- Promotions assistant manager
- Public relations pfficer
- Sales administrator
What You'll Learn
- Learn to develop and apply knowledge of communication
- Learn to apply digital solutions to work processes
- Learn to write complex documents
- Learn to articulate, present and debate ideas and make presentations
- Learn to analyse consumer behaviour, assess marketing opportunities and undertake marketing activities
- Learn to apply marketing communication across a convergent industry
- Learn to develop a social media strategy
- Learn to market new business ventures
- Learn to build and maintain business relationships
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration and Study Load
- Maximum 24 months
- 17 hours of recommended study per week
Study online and enjoy the flexibility of fitting your learning around your life. There are no classrooms, all you have to do is login to access your learning materials and make your way through the course at a pace that suits you.
There are no mandated education entry requirements for this qualification, per the BSB Business Services Training Package.
There are no mandatory Open Colleges entry requirements.
It is also recommended that students:
- Are 18 years old (note students under 18 will need permission from a parent or guardian to enrol)
- Have language, literacy and numeracy skills that ensure the ability to read and comprehend technical terms and communicate effectively through email. These skills are equivalent to those that would be required to successfully complete Year 12 or ACSF Level 3.
- You will need to have completed Year 12, or a qualification at Certificate III level or higher
- Access to a modern computer with video/audio playback capabilities and high-speed internet
- Access to Microsoft Office or equivalent
- Basic computing skills, including ability to make a short video
Access to a digital video recording device to save and upload video/image files to OpenSpace, e.g., mobile phone/smartphone
You’ll be required to operate office equipment and resources including telephone, photocopier, scanner and printer in a safe environment that includes an ergonomically sound computer workstation.
Equipment and tools
This course includes a requirement to record video and/ or audio roleplays. These will require participation by 1-2 other people sourced by you.
Language, literacy and numeracy
Our free online assessment tool can help give you an idea of the language, literacy and numeracy skills needed to study a VET course. This tool can also help you determine your learning level and help you plan your future studies.
- Delivered 100% online with online learning platform Open Space
- Take a step up from an entry-level business or marketing role with a broad range of knowledge and skills
- Learn basic marketing concepts to understand consumer behaviour, leadership skills and relationship management
- Receive a 12-month affiliate membership with the Institute of Managers and Leaders
Recognition of Prior Learning
We understand that you may already have many skills and areas of expertise that you have obtained in different ways and these are recognised through our Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) process.
Our Credit Transfer & Recognition of Prior Learning Policy, available in our website’s Key Student Information section, provides more information about our RPL process. Alternatively, you can contact an Enrolment Consultant to discuss your RPL options.
- Multiple choice quiz
- Role plays
- Written assessments
Learning materials are accessed through our online platform, OpenSpace. These learning materials include:
- Learning content
- Additional resources
- Practice activities
About Open Colleges
Open Colleges puts you at the centre of everything we do. As an institution, we measure our success in the success of our students.
We have more than 125 years of experience in distance education, and this has given us the time to perfect the ways we deliver education and training to people across Australia. In the last decade alone, we’ve helped more than 450,000 students reach their potential.
We understand the needs of adult learners. That’s why we created OpenSpace, our world-class online learning platform that gives you complete flexibility and control to study whenever and wherever you are. OpenSpace provides you with access to learning resources, expert trainers and assessors, a superior support network and the opportunity to connect with other learners just like you.
Our nationally recognised courses could help you launch, change or accelerate your career. Now is the time to make your next move. With Open Colleges, everything could happen.
Open Colleges Pty Ltd is a Registered Training Organization (RTO 90796)