A Master of Data Science from JCU Online will provide you with sophisticated skills and knowledge that will open up a wealth of opportunities in today’s data-driven world. The course takes you beyond the textbook and into the real world by providing a deep understanding of how data informs business strategy.
As companies look to unlock the secrets hidden in data, demand for data science professionals who can mine data to deliver valuable business solutions will only increase. You will gain skills in Programming (Python and R), Visualisation (Tableau) and Cloud platforms like AWS. The course is also SAS Certified.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Data Scientist
- Business Analyst
- AI Developer
- Machine Learning Specialist
- Data Analyst
- Chief Information Officer
What You'll Learn
- You will study up to 12 online subjects, depending on your entry point and recognition of prior learning. There are six subjects offered each year. Study periods are seven weeks long, with new subjects starting every second month
- You’ll gain expert skills in programming languages including Python and R, professional capability in visualisation tools such as SAS and Tableau, software development platforms like R-Studio and Jupyter and experience on cloud computing platforms including Amazon Web Services
- An interdisciplinary approach means you’ll acquire relevant knowledge from across the mathematics, information technology and business domains, delivered by experts in research, academia, business and of course, data science. This varied approach delivers a flexible knowledge base and skillset, adding weight to employability
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration and Study Load
- 24 months part-time
- 12 subjects (One subject per each 7-week study period)
A 100% online degree in Data Science from JCU is your ticket to a bigger career in one of the fastest growing professions worldwide.
- 100% online learning – study to your own timetable with no on-campus classes or exams
- Qualify sooner with one of Australia’s fastest part-time Master of Data Science Degrees
- Upskill now and capitalise on the data science revolution
- A Bachelor degree (whilst not a prerequisite for entry, high numeracy skills equivalent to senior level mathematics that includes algebra and elementary differential calculus is assumed); OR
- At least five years of relevant work experience in an IT or Data Science related industry. Industry experience will need to include some background in computing, data analysis or programming. Application-based on relevant industry experience must be supported by a detailed CV and proof of work experience
- Applicants of non-English speaking backgrounds must meet the English language proficiency requirements of Band 2 – Schedule II of the JCU Admissions Policy
- Develop fundamental skills in data science
- Open up your career opportunities
- Build your portfolio
- Gain skills in SAS, Python, R and more
- Fast-track your career with 100% online study
- Be supported by a dedicated Student Success Advisor
Recognition of Prior Learning
- JCU recognises the value of past study and real-world experience. Exemptions or credits for elective subjects will be considered on a case-by-case basis, upon submission of verifiable supporting documentation
- A Master of Data Science from JCU Online will provide you with sophisticated skills and knowledge that will open up a wealth of opportunities in today’s data-driven world. The course takes you beyond the textbook and into the real world by providing a deep understanding of how data informs business strategy
- You will gain skills in Programming (Python and R), Visualisation (Tableau) and Cloud platforms like AWS. The course is also SAS Certified
About James Cook University
Study when it suits you, receive personal academic support and make your CV shine with a qualification from an internationally recognised university.
With a reputation for excellence in teaching and research, we know the value of a world-class education: our students graduate to become leaders in their fields and their communities. What’s more, JCU has been awarded five stars for graduate job success for six years running by The Good Universities Guide.
Through our postgraduate courses, we aim to empower professionals to have a positive impact and make their lives matter. Enrol and gain the skills to build your brighter future, today.