Published May 8, 2020
How to Get Your Forklift Licence in Melbourne
In this post Show
In this post
As a construction tradie, you are responsible for carrying out the duty of ensuring the health and safety of yourself and your coworkers within the reasonable guidelines of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
Recently, a junkyard owner became the first person in Victoria to be found guilty and sentenced to jail for her reckless violation of the Worksafe Victoria duty laws where she operated a forklift truck without a proper licence, which resulted in the death of a worker.
This indicates the Victorian government’s strengthening resolve in enforcing the Worksafe Victoria requirements to improve oversight over high-risk work. So if you are looking to become one of the 1.2 million Australians employed by the construction industry, you should make sure you have received proper forklift training.
When looking for a forklift licence course, keep in mind that only the Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) are authorised to deliver forklift licence training courses.
What is a forklift licence course?
‘TLILIC0003 Licence to operate a forklift truck’ unit covers the skills and knowledge required to safely operate a forklift truck. This course is required for anyone who will directly operate or manage workers operating a forklift.
The normal course duration is around 3 days but could be shorter for forklift refresher training or advanced training for experienced operators.
‘TLILIC0003 Licence to operate a forklift truck’ training course includes:
- Hazard identification and control measures
- Checking forklift truck for any damage or defects
- Safe operation of forklift at safe speeds and load weights
- How to ensure the safety of personnel and load while monitoring the movement of a load
- Starting and shutting down a forklift safely including pre-start and post-start operational checks
- Be at least 18 years of age and have approved/accepted proof of ID
- Must have a Unique Student Identifier (USI)
- Minimum literacy and numeracy requirements to enroll in the program
- Able to understand and apply safe work methods and guidelines
- Able to articulate issues and needs clearly
- Able to complete written and required documentation such as risk assessments
In order to actually operate one, you will also need to hold a separate High-Risk Work (HRW) Licence.
Which RTO-provided training centres are available in Melbourne?
There are many RTO-provided courses in Melbourne or Victoria. Upon successful completion of a statement of attainment and a temporary WorkSafe Forklift Licence. You will have to pass an assessment conducted by
Depending on the career path you have in mind, you may want to consider obtaining other licenses as many RTOs would offer combined packages.
Here are some of the forklift licence training course providers in Melbourne which offer various relevant onsite courses.
- Course Overview: Training with fully equipped forklift training simulated warehouse with free retesting and printed course materials
- Course Duration: 2 days
- Course Fee: $545 on weekdays / $645 on weekends
- Course Overview: Onsite or offsite training for experienced or non-experienced workers including lectures, group discussions, and practical training; likely include recommended 4-day self-paced study and pre-work requirements
- Course Duration: 2 days
- Course Fee: $500
- Course Overview: Separate training courses offered for beginner vs. experienced operator with a simulated warehouse to help learn about various workplace situations
- Course Duration: 2 days for experienced operators and 3 days for beginners
- Course Fee: $505 for 2-day course / $555 for 3-day course
- Course Overview: Course including both theory and practical training in a specialised training center designed to simulate a workplace with up to 3 free assessments within 60 days
- Course Duration: 2 days with pre-course learning
- Course Fee: $495
- Course Overview: Training courses including forklift licence training, order picker courses, and RF Scanning offered by a professional forklift licence training company with a focus on practical workplace training
- Course Duration: 2 days for forklift licence and longer for other combined training programs
- Course Fee: $450 (higher for combined courses)
These training courses are for forklift licence training only but you can also explore getting a Certificate III in Civil Construction if you want to broaden a range of jobs you could qualify for.
How to Write a Cover Letter That’s Unique (Like You)
Writing a cover letter from scratch can be a daunting task. Luckily, this guide offers all the tips...
Will a Democratic Leadership Style Make You a Successful Leader?
Find out what strengths and characteristics make the democratic leader a powerful force in the moder...
Discover Your Leadership Style: Prepare For the Next Step in Your Career
Identify your leadership style and learn about the skills you need to develop to successfully step i...
Want to read more?
How to Get Work Experience at 40 and Over
Are you a more mature worker looking for a career change or to reenter the workforce after an extend...
The Best Ways to Virtually Stay in Touch During the COVID-19 Pandemic
In the darker times of our lives we often seek out the comfort of loved ones who are reassuringly fa...
Personality Test: How Does Your Mind Work?
You’ve probably noticed that the people around you all work in different ways. Sometimes it’s almost...