Published May 8, 2020
How to Get Your Forklift Licence in Melbourne
In this post
As a construction tradie, you are responsible for carrying out the duty of ensuring the health and safety of yourself and your coworkers within the reasonable guidelines of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
Recently, a junkyard owner became the first person in Victoria to be found guilty and sentenced to jail for her reckless violation of the Worksafe Victoria duty laws where she operated a forklift truck without a proper licence, which resulted in the death of a worker.
This indicates the Victorian government’s strengthening resolve in enforcing the Worksafe Victoria requirements to improve oversight over high-risk work. So if you are looking to become one of the 1.2 million Australians employed by the construction industry, you should make sure you have received proper forklift training.
When looking for a forklift licence course, keep in mind that only the Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) are authorised to deliver forklift licence training courses.
What is a forklift licence course?
‘TLILIC0003 Licence to operate a forklift truck’ unit covers the skills and knowledge required to safely operate a forklift truck. This course is required for anyone who will directly operate or manage workers operating a forklift.
The normal course duration is around 3 days but could be shorter for forklift refresher training or advanced training for experienced operators.
‘TLILIC0003 Licence to operate a forklift truck’ training course includes:
- Hazard identification and control measures
- Checking forklift truck for any damage or defects
- Safe operation of forklift at safe speeds and load weights
- How to ensure the safety of personnel and load while monitoring the movement of a load
- Starting and shutting down a forklift safely including pre-start and post-start operational checks
- Be at least 18 years of age and have approved/accepted proof of ID
- Must have a Unique Student Identifier (USI)
- Minimum literacy and numeracy requirements to enroll in the program
- Able to understand and apply safe work methods and guidelines
- Able to articulate issues and needs clearly
- Able to complete written and required documentation such as risk assessments
In order to actually operate one, you will also need to hold a separate High-Risk Work (HRW) Licence.
Which RTO-provided training centres are available in Melbourne?
There are many RTO-provided courses in Melbourne or Victoria. Upon successful completion of a statement of attainment and a temporary WorkSafe Forklift Licence. You will have to pass an assessment conducted by
Depending on the career path you have in mind, you may want to consider obtaining other licenses as many RTOs would offer combined packages.
Here are some of the forklift licence training course providers in Melbourne which offer various relevant onsite courses.
- Course Overview: Training with fully equipped forklift training simulated warehouse with free retesting and printed course materials
- Course Duration: 2 days
- Course Fee: $545 on weekdays / $645 on weekends
- Course Overview: Onsite or offsite training for experienced or non-experienced workers including lectures, group discussions, and practical training; likely include recommended 4-day self-paced study and pre-work requirements
- Course Duration: 2 days
- Course Fee: $500
- Course Overview: Separate training courses offered for beginner vs. experienced operator with a simulated warehouse to help learn about various workplace situations
- Course Duration: 2 days for experienced operators and 3 days for beginners
- Course Fee: $505 for 2-day course / $555 for 3-day course
- Course Overview: Course including both theory and practical training in a specialised training center designed to simulate a workplace with up to 3 free assessments within 60 days
- Course Duration: 2 days with pre-course learning
- Course Fee: $495
- Course Overview: Training courses including forklift licence training, order picker courses, and RF Scanning offered by a professional forklift licence training company with a focus on practical workplace training
- Course Duration: 2 days for forklift licence and longer for other combined training programs
- Course Fee: $450 (higher for combined courses)
These training courses are for forklift licence training only but you can also explore getting a Certificate III in Civil Construction if you want to broaden a range of jobs you could qualify for.
Best Leadership and Management Courses: Compare Your Upskilling Options
Ready to take on a leadership and management role in your company? Learn more about the types of onl...
The Role of Artificial Intelligence in Online Education
Artificial intelligence is increasingly becoming a core part of online education. It has the ability...
What to Expect When You Start Working as a Counsellor: 6 Lessons
New counsellors hit a steep learning curve when they begin practicing. A professional counsellor sha...
Want to read more?
What Would Your Ideal Job Be Based On Your Hogwarts House? Take the Quiz!
Just Landed Your First Job? Here’s The Money Advice You Need to Hear Now
So, you landed your first job. Congratulations! Before your first paycheck hits your bank account, i...
How to Find the Apprenticeship You Want!
Apprenticeships give you the skills, experience & qualifications you need to enter the workforce. Ho...