What are the different fields within pharmacy?Industry Leader Answer
- Community pharmacists: Help dispense prescriptions, provide health, medicine and lifestyle-related advice with respect to drug selection and usage to doctors and other health professionals, educating customers on health and disease prevention and of course the ongoing and proper use of medicines.
- Consultant pharmacists: Either employed by community pharmacies or hospitals. They are often or are self- employed and work on a contractual basis within community pharmacies to provide medication reviews for residential care or home base patients. They help carry out medicine reviews etc and recommendations are then made to doctors and other healthcare professionals.
- Hospital pharmacists: Operate as a part of a hospital healthcare team. They help to monitor medication usage, counsel patients, provide drug information and advice to health professionals. They also help with the transition from hospital back to home and help liaise with the community pharmacy for continuity of care.
- Industrial pharmacists: Often carry out research and the development, play a part in helping with the manufacture, testing, analysis and marketing of pharmaceutical and medical products.
- Other fields: There are also numerous wider roles such as in the military, law, journalism, academic teaching, research, pharmaceutical policy and health-related undertakings as part of a wider healthcare team.
Was it useful?