We are a private RTO and therefore government funding is not available. Please check eligibility requirements before enquiring.
Please note that we are not able to accept student visa holders for this course.
Get started in a career in aged care and learn the practical skills and knowledge needed to provide individual support to elderly clients. Open Colleges’ online Certificate III in Individual Support (Ageing) is an entry-level qualification that can get you working as an Aged Care support Worker.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Accommodation Support Worker
- Aged Care Support Worker
- Care Assistant
- Community Care Worker
- Residential Care Worker
What You'll Learn
- About the human body and how to support its healthy functioning
- Important skills to comply with infection control
- How to facilitate the empowerment of older people
- How to work with diverse people
- Legal and ethical requirements for working in a care role
- The skills to meet personal client support needs
- How to tailor support to meet the needs of individual clients
- How dementia can affect a person and how to communicate with, support, and monitor a client with dementia
- How to support client independence and wellbeing
- How to work effectively within the health and community care sector
- How to implement behaviour support strategies
- How to assist and support clients to participate in community settings.
- How to work safely when providing direct client care
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration and Study Load
- Maximum 12 months
- Online with Work Placement (via OpenSpaceX)
There are no mandated education entry requirements for this qualification, per the CHC Community Services Training Package.
Students must be 18 years of age to enrol in this course.
It is also recommended that students:
- Have language, literacy and numeracy skills that ensure the ability to read and comprehend technical terms and communicate effectively through email. These skills are equivalent to those that would be required to complete year 12.
- Have access to a modern computer with high-speed internet.
- Have access to a device with audio/video playback capabilities.
- Have basic computing skills including the ability to make a short video.
- This course will take you from beginner to professional Support Worker in a maximum of 12-months. You will get a solid education in the fundamentals of aged care and will graduate job-ready.
- A structured work placement during your studies gives you practical experience in a real-world workplace where you can put your learning into practice and gain industry exposure.
- The course will qualify you to work in a variety of care roles, so you have a number of employment avenues you can explore, including assistant in nursing, care worker, residential care worker and residential support worker.
- Studying with Open Colleges is fully flexible. You don’t have to give up your job or sacrifice your lifestyle to study. You simply log in to the online campus to access all your learning materials, whenever and wherever you like, and make your way through the course at a pace that suits you.
- You will be supported through your studies by a team of experienced Trainers and Assessors, who are there to answer any questions you have and provide feedback on your progress.
The course contains a minimum of 160 hours of work placement.
You will need to undertake your work placement in an aged care organisation such as residential aged care facilities, group homes, and respite care. The specific requirements of the workplace are outlined in the Workplace Assessment Guide which can be found in OpenSpaceX.
Open Colleges will need to ascertain whether the workplace you have chosen is appropriate before commencing your work placement hours. In some cases, you may be required to complete your hours at more than one host organisation.
Please note that your host organisation may require you to provide an up to date immunisation history prior to the commencement of your work placement. Open Colleges has no control over this requirement so if you are unable to provide this, you will need to discuss it with your intended Host Organisation.
It should also be noted that some immunisations, such as Hepatitis B and COVID-19, need multiple injections to be administered over a specific time period before you are deemed immune. It is important that you consult with your GP as soon as possible to avoid delays in starting your work placement.
- Multiple-choice questions
- Workplace assessments
- Written assessments
Open Colleges offers this qualification in association with Integrated Care & Management Training Pty Ltd (Provider number: 90197). The testamur will be issued by Integrated Care & Management Training Pty Ltd.
About Open Colleges
Open Colleges puts you at the centre of everything we do. As an institution, we measure our success in the success of our students.
We have more than 125 years of experience in distance education, and this has given us the time to perfect the ways we deliver education and training to people across Australia. In the last decade alone, we’ve helped more than 450,000 students reach their potential.
We understand the needs of adult learners. That’s why we created OpenSpace, our world-class online learning platform that gives you complete flexibility and control to study whenever and wherever you are. OpenSpace provides you with access to learning resources, expert trainers and assessors, a superior support network and the opportunity to connect with other learners just like you.
Our nationally recognised courses could help you launch, change or accelerate your career. Now is the time to make your next move. With Open Colleges, everything could happen.
Open Colleges Pty Ltd is a Registered Training Organization (RTO 90796)