Master the core skills and knowledge for business, management and operations with a Bachelor of Business with a Major in Accounting and Financial Planning. This degree will set you up for a career in the accounting and financial planning industry, including financial management, retirement planning or financial planning. You’ll learn about commercial and personal accounting as well as the theory of business, finance and commerce law.
This course meets the educational requirements of the Financial Planning Association of Australia (FPA) and is accredited by the Financial Planning Education Council (FPEC). It is also accredited by the Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CAANZ) and CPA Australia. In addition, it is approved by the Financial Advisers Standards and Ethics Authority (FASEA), ensuring you’ll learn the skills needed to enter the financial planning industry with confidence.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Financial Planner
- Servicing Planner
- Finance Manager
What You'll Learn
- Financial accounting
- Company accounting
- Finance law
- Ethical client relationships
- Investment planning
- Retirement and estate planning
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration and Study Load
- 3 years full-time or equivalent part-time
The Bachelor of Business (Professional) with all majors except the 200 cp Professional Majors is a 375-credit point course. If students wish to undertake the Accounting and Financial Planning Professional Major, the course would extend to 400 credit points and therefore require a separate CRICOS code.
Non-year 12 entry
- Completion or partial completion of an approved tertiary qualification (including diplomas, advanced diplomas, associate degrees and degrees). Additional performance criteria and prerequisite requirements may also apply
- Students admitted to the course with prior tertiary studies that satisfy part of the academic requirements of this course may be eligible for academic credit of up to 16 units
- Applicants without a formal qualification but with significant and relevant work experience and appropriate English language skills, or a suitable Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT) result, will be considered if they can demonstrate that they can undertake the course with a reasonable prospect of success
Year 12 entry
- Successful completion of the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) or its equivalent, such as an interstate or international Year 12 qualification
- Applicant must meet the associated minimum ATAR score
- Units 3 and 4 – a study score of at least 30 in English (EAL) or at least 25 in English other than EAL
On successful completion of this course students will be able to:
- Define and integrate theoretical principles applicable to a business discipline and apply those principles in a range of practices
- Systematically review and critically evaluate research from a variety of sources in order to make informed judgements on options for innovatively solving a range of problems that arise in business contexts
- Formulate creative solutions that are fit for purpose and demonstrate cognisance of the impact of business decisions on the environment, economy and society
- Coherently articulate a line of reasoning demonstrating cultural sensitivity and apply a framework to analyse and offer solutions to ethical dilemmas
- Communicate a range of business arguments by evaluating and implementing alternative communication strategies as appropriate to the audience
- Build on and continuously develop the intellectual independence to be critical and reflective learners, cognisant of new technologies
- Work collaboratively in diverse groups
About Swinburne Online
Swinburne Online is a digital education portal that delivers online university and TAFE courses on behalf of Melbourne’s Swinburne University of Technology (RTO 3059), one of Australia’s leading educational institutions with over 30,000 students.
Offering a wide range of highly engaging and productive university courses online, Swinburne Online’s students have the opportunity to receive the same qualifications as those attending Swinburne University of Technology.
The difference is that learning is done online, so instead of coming onto campus, Swinburne Online students can study any time, anywhere, through an innovative and easy to use digital portal.