In a noisy world that is complex, uncertain and constantly changing, it’s more important than ever that there are people who can listen. There is a growing demand for counselling professionals in nursing, social work, teaching and other community-based roles
You can deepen your skills and respond to the evolving needs of individuals and communities with ECU’s online Graduate Certificate of Counselling.
You will examine techniques of counsellors in various modalities and gain practical knowledge of how to apply person-centred approaches to counselling. You will also begin to develop reflective practices to continue your development as you walk alongside individuals and communities.
The online Graduate Certificate of Counselling is an excellent pathway to the ECU’s online Master of Counselling.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Social work
- Career coaching
- Other allied health
- Human resources
- Youth work
- Human welfare roles
- Local government support/community development roles
- Disability support work
- Cognate undergraduate social science or behavioural science
What You'll Learn
- Understand counselling in a digital world: Gain skills to effectively adapt to the field as it expands across the digital realm. Understand how theories and techniques of counselling can be translated and adapted for delivery across a range of modalities to connect with and support people in unique and far-reaching ways
- Develop a person-centred approach: Learn how to walk alongside individuals in a process that values difference, supports self-discovery, builds on unique strengths and recognises the interrelationships between individuals, communities and social structures as important platforms for healing
- Examine the roles of counsellors working at the cultural interface Learn the skills and abilities needed to work in the community and actively promote a positive sense of identity, culture and heritage, with particular emphasis on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and practice
- Explore self-awareness and reflective practice: Engage in self-evaluation, critical thinking and reflective practice to gain a deeper understanding of the self, and how this interplays with the therapeutic process, personal growth and ongoing professional development
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
Duration and Study Load
- 6 months part-time
- 3 units in total
Course admission requirements
To gain entry into the Graduate Certificate of Counselling you will need the following:
- Bachelor degree from a country specified in the Admissions Policy (with preference given to degrees relating to ‘helping professions’); or
- Equivalent prior learning including at least five years relevant professional experience
- English Language Requirements: IELTS Academic Overall band minimum score of 6.5 (no individual band less than 6.0)
Accessible, flexible and accelerated
- Study anywhere, anytime with our flexible online format. Our course is delivered in accelerated mode, allowing you to earn your degree and put your skills into practice sooner
- Be supported throughout your study journey by a personal Student Success Advisor and online learning community of like-minded students and friendly, accessible staff
Job-ready skills, relevant to the industry
- Gain a wide range of skills – identified and designed by industry experts – to meet the complex and evolving needs of individuals and communities
- Our Master of Counselling has been accredited by the Australian Counselling Association (ACA)
About Edith Cowan University Online
At ECU we are guided by our values of integrity, respect, rational inquiry and personal excellence. Our focus on teaching and research is inspired by engagement and partnerships with those in the many communities we were established to serve.
Fit postgraduate study around your life and graduate sooner with our flexible and accessible accelerated and online courses from ECU Online.
Find the right postgraduate course for your career development. We offer qualifications in Education, Counselling, Cyber Security and Human Resource Management, which will equip you with the skills, knowledge and credentials to advance in your career.