The Undergraduate Certificate in Dermal Interventions examines the most in-demand dermal intervention modalities, providing you with the theoretical knowledge and practical expertise to succeed in the dermal therapy industry.
You will gain a thorough understanding of skin biology and how specific techniques like laser technology and micro-needling can be used to meet advanced dermal therapy goals.
Who's It For?
This Undergraduate Certificate is ideal for emerging health science practitioners, providing newcomers to this industry with the foundational skills and knowledge to launch their careers.
It is more relevant and advanced than similar diploma programs, while offering an achievable introduction to science-based training.
Potential career outcomes could include:
- Junior Dermal Therapist
- Laser Therapist
- Skin Therapist
- Beauty Therapist
What You'll Learn
Over the course of this qualification, you will:
- Design and apply appropriate patient history taking and record keeping strategies for consultations and develop interpersonal skills
- Describe the functions of the integumentary system, including the cellular turnover and major anatomical components
- Describe the histology, physiology and anatomy of the skin, hair and nails, including the function of the associated glands and proteins
- Develop the ability to combine safety and utilisation of laser and light, as well as a variety of other modalities, the pre and post treatment protocols and various outcomes
- Demonstrate understanding of the theory and contra-indications underpinning various technologies and treatment options
- Classify the fundamental types of lesions and develop treatment options for them
- BlendedBlended delivery - both online course content and partial face to face requirements
- VirtualVirtual Delivery - Live and interactive classroom-style learning conducted completely online
- In-classIn class delivery - predominately face to face course content conducted at a specific location
- OnlineOnline delivery - online course content with the exception of assessments and work placement
- Gold Coast
- New South Wales
Duration and Study Load
- Up to 26 weeks part-time
- Online and dedicated clinic blocks
All applicants will participate in an interview conducted over the phone to determine the following:
- Your study and professional goals
- Your suitability for the course (i.e. review your ability to manage academic study)
2. Academic Study Skills
To gain entry, you must demonstrate your ability to manage the academic rigours of a tertiary course, especially in terms of your academic study and time management skills.
You are able to demonstrate your ability by completing an Academic Study Skills Test, which ACHW can provide you with during the interview process. This test is presented as short course that can be completed in a few days and will prepare you for study.
Alternatively, you can demonstrate your ability with:
- Successful completion of the relevant State’s higher school certificate (or equivalent); or
- Successful completion of a tertiary qualification of Certificate IV or above
We will also consider any other documentation that demonstrates your academic and time management skills, including from formal studies, workplace activities, or research.
3. English Language Proficiency
You may be required to demonstrate your English Language Proficiency which must be at least:
- Equivalent of IELTS 6 (no band score below 5.5)
- You must be over 18
Other pre-requisite skills and knowledge
- Conditions of Study: There may be other requirements of the course which need to be addressed before you begin your study
- Exemptions: If you have completed a SHB50115 Diploma of Beauty Therapy, you will receive credit for AHS101 Integumentary System. Otherwise, you may apply for exemptions from units in the course based on your previous experience. Please complete the Recognition of Prior Learning Form available on the website
- Disability: If you have a disability which may affect your ability to successfully complete the course, please let us know. You may have to provide a doctor’s certificate or similar evidence
- Evidence Requirements: Only submit certified copies (not originals) of your qualifications (e.g. testamur and academic transcripts, certifications, and statements of attainment). ‘Certified’ means a photocopy signed by a Justice of the Peace or any other authorised person. Documentation submitted as evidence of meeting the academic study skill requirement or any of the conditions must be current, authentic, and accurate. This evidence must clearly demonstrate that you meet the requirements and can include:
- References from employers (including position descriptions)
- Documents you have created as part of your work or recent studies
- Academic learning advisors provide dedicated support and feedback on assessments and other tasks
- We have a scholarship for Industry Newcomers
- This program provides a comprehensive practical clinical component
- In combination with our strong industry partnerships, our students have the opportunity to learn from the leaders in the Health Science and Aesthetics industry, enabling them to graduate with confidence and a high standard of skills
- We are an approved FEE-HELP provider for eligible students
Recognition of Prior Learning
We offer Recognition of Prior Learning for formal and informal learning.
- Students must provide evidence of their prior formal learning with their application for credit. The evidence must be sufficient to assess the equivalence of the prior learning outcomes, volume of learning, program of study and learning and assessment approaches compared to the ACHW course/unit. The evidence must be valid, sufficient, authentic and current within 10 years. ACHW requires references to assist in determining authentic claims
- Students applying for credit based on formal learning must provide, as appropriate:
- Certified Australian Quality Framework (AQF) qualification testamur issued by an accredited provider; or
- Certified formal academic transcript issued by an accredited provider; or
- Certified statement of attainment issued by an accredited provider; or
- Certified overseas qualification issued by a provider listed on the AEI NOOSR Country Education Profiles and a syllabus copy detailing the learning outcomes and assessments undertaken
- Students applying for credit based on informal or non-formal learning must provide evidence of their capability such as:
- Curriculum vitae;
- Employment references or letters including name, contact details and relationship (this must be on a business letterhead);
- Client references or testimonials including name and contact details (these cannot be friends or family members);
- Position descriptions or other documents detailing roles, tasks and achievements;
- Outcomes of performance reviews;
- Portfolios containing samples of work;
- Certificates from professional development, short course and non-award courses; and/or
- Other documentation or evidence requested by the assessor
For students who wish to pursue further education and gain even greater knowledge and skills, this course offers a clear articulation pathway. Once completing this Undergraduate Certificate, students can progress directly into the Australasian College of Health and Wellness’ more advanced degrees, including the Bachelor of Applied Health Science (Clinical Aesthetics), which is the most comprehensive degree in this field offered in Australia.
About Australasian College of Health and Wellness
The Australasian College of Health and Wellness (ACHW) is a nationally accredited training institute that offers the highest level of qualification in Applied Health Science available in Australia. Our students are not only provided a premier education; they also graduate with the best recognition of their expertise in the dynamic field of Clinical Aesthetics.
At ACHW, we know that beauty is more than skin deep, which is why we ensure that the skills and learning our students receive is always innovative and practical, never superficial. Our educational ethos is to underpin current aesthetics practice with the top standard of skills and deeper knowledge gained through a combination of science and clinical practice — we are confident that our graduates leave immediately prepared for the rigours of Clinical Aesthetics.
Our facilitators are similarly unmatched in their experience, expertise, and empathy, with our senior lecturer, Terry Everitt, being the only recognised Professor of Aesthetic Sciences in the nation. ACHW believes that it is essential for our students to feel empowered from the first step of their education journey, and this starts with having inspiring teachers.
A degree with the Australasian College of Health and Wellness is designed specifically to put you right at the forefront of the Clinical Aesthetics industry and to allow you to stay ahead of the curve for the duration of your career.
TEQSA ID PRV13002