What is Free TAFE for Under 25s?
All under 25s in Queensland can access training for 26 priority certificate III qualifications for free, opening up new and exciting opportunities for young people in the area.
As an extension to the former free TAFE for Year 12 graduates program, the Free TAFE for Under 25s program is designed to teach young people in-demand skills that can benefit Queensland-based businesses and companies.
This publicly-funded scheme helps to give young people training in industry areas with skills gaps or a high number of job opportunities. Students can take on qualifications up to certificate III level, opening them up to skilled work in a wide variety of sectors.
Students will have the cost of their course paid for in full by the Queensland Government, meaning that learners will be able to get access to subsidised training and education.
Courses in Queensland
Free TAFE for under 25s Courses in Queensland
What courses does Free TAFE for Under 25s subsidise?
There’s a wide array of courses covered by the Free TAFE for Under 25s subsidy.
Free TAFE for Under 25s subsidises the following courses:
• Certificate II in Kitchen Operations
• Certificate III in Laboratory Skills
• Certificate III in Manufacturing Technology
• Certificate III in Community Services
• Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care
• Certificate III in Arboriculture
• Certificate III in Parks and Gardens
• Certificate III in Production Horticulture
• Certificate III in Allied Health Assistance
• Certificate III in Health Administration
• Certificate III in Health Support Services
• Certificate III in Pathology Collection
• Certificate III in Sterilisation Services
• Certificate III in Hospitality
• Certificate III in Food Processing
• Certificate III in Education Support
• Certificate III in Individual Support
• Certificate III in Agriculture
• Certificate III in Horticulture
• Certificate III in Landscape Construction
• Certificate III in Rural Operations
• Certificate III in Dental Assisting
• Certificate III in Health Services Assistance
• Certificate III in Indigenous Environmental Health
• Certificate III in Pathology Assistance
• Certificate III in ATSI Primary Health Care
The Queensland Government fully subsidises training for these courses in high priority areas, although learners may be expected to be responsible for costs related to uniforms or resources that are required to complete the course.
The scheme covers certificate II and III courses, with certificate III being the highest level that is fully subsidised under the scheme.
Am I eligible for Free TAFE for Under 25s?
To be eligible for free courses you must be a resident of Queensland and also be at least one of the following:
• Be under the age of 25 during the date of enrolment and not in school.
• Have Australian citizenship or be an Australian permanent resident, humanitarian entrant, temporary resident with the adequate visa and work permits for the pathway to permanent residency or be a New Zealand citizen.
• Ensure that you do not hold or are not currently enrolled in a certificate III or higher-level qualifications (this doesn’t include qualifications completed at school or foundation skills training).
To find out if you qualify to enrol in the course through Free TAFE for Under 25s, submit an enquiry. The training provider will check your eligibility and see if there are any open training spots when you contact them.
Others Government Funding Schemes in Queensland
JobTrainer provides fully subsidised training courses in industries with high skills demand and employment growth, and for school leavers, young people and job seekers.Learn More
Skills Checkpoint is a government program that supports Australians over 40 in retraining and upskilling so they can enhance their current careers or find new jobs.Learn More
User Choice is a government funding program that helps Australian Apprentices by contributing to the cost of training and assessment services.Learn More
Certificate 3 Guarantee
The Certificate 3 Guarantee program could help pay for your first certificate III level qualification.Learn More
Free apprenticeships for under 25s
Free Apprenticeships for Under 25s is a program set up by the Queensland Government to give training to young people in high priority areas.Learn More
Higher Level Skills
The higher level skills program aims to equip Queenslanders with the necessary abilities to find work in priority industries or to move on towards a university education.Learn More
What is the purpose of Free TAFE for Under 25s?
The aim of giving free training to young Queenslanders is to give incentives to young learners to help pick up relevant skills that can help large companies, small businesses, or entire industry sectors shrink skills gaps.
What areas will I learn skills in?
This program aims to give learners high priority qualifications in a range of areas, from hospitality to health services. Eligible students can explore free TAFE courses and become qualified in an area they are interested in without the burden of paying for the cost of training.
How long will Free TAFE for Under 25s program last for?
Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has confirmed that access to free TAFE courses for those under the age of 25 would continue until the middle of 2023.